Every year on April 1st, sites all over the Web take a break from serious business to post believable, yet strange, announcements. Here are a few of my favorites this year:
- Palm announced that the all-new Pre will run old PalmOS software.
- Microsoft hinted that they’re making a version of Office for the iPhone.
- Blackberry opened their own “App store”.
- The Texas State Senate added a provision to the state’s budget to prevent purchases of Windows Vista.
- CNET spent four months warning Windows users about a virus that turned out to have no impact at all.
- The Onion won a Peabody award.
- Twitter pretended that they waited three years after they launched to add a Search feature to their home page. Calling it “The Discovery Engine” was delightfully droll.
Keep it up, guys! While these were pretty funny, none of them quite beats Google’s big announcement five years ago. Hopefully next year they’ll all come up with some better comedy.